Senior Health Tips for a great retirement
Congratulations on moving to Grace Pointe Living in Moore, Oklahoma. We want to encourage you to maintain your optimum health and fitness so that you can enjoy your Golden Years of retirement and fully realize the great choice you made moving to Grace Pointe Living.
Let’s explore some senior health tips to ensure that you make the most of your retirement life at Grace Pointe Living:
Physical activity is good for people of all ages. Staying active can help:
- Lower your risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer
- Improve your strength and balance so you can prevent injuries and stay independent
- Improve your mood
- Feel better about yourself
- Improve your ability to think, learn, and make decisions
Before you start…
If you have a health problem like heart disease, diabetes, or obesity, talk to your doctor about the types and amounts of physical activity that are right for you.
Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activities.
- If you were not exercising before, start slowly. Begin with 10 minutes of aerobic activity and gradually build up to doing 30 minutes at a time.
- Aim for 30 minutes of aerobic activity on most days of the week.
- Choose aerobic activities – activities that make your heart beat faster – like walking fast, dancing, swimming, or raking leaves.
- Tell your doctor if you have shortness of breath, chest pain, or unplanned weight loss.
Do strengthening activities 2 days a week.
- Try using exercise bands or lifting hand weights. You can also use bottles of water or cans of food as weights.
- Breathe out as you lift the weight, and breathe in as you lower it. Don’t hold your breath – holding your breath can cause unsafe changes in your blood pressure.
Do balance activities 3 or more days a week.
- Practice standing on one foot (hold onto a chair if you need to at first).
- Stand up from a sitting position without using your hands.
- Learn tai chi (“ty chee”), a Chinese mind-body exercise that involves moving the body slowly and gently.
- Sign up for a yoga class, or try following a yoga video at home. Remember we offer free massage and exercise activities for you here at Grace Pointe Living.
These are short and simple tips that will help you maintain physical health and longevity during your retirement life at Grace Pointe Living. Let’s all work together to make sure you live a long and healthy life and fully enjoy your retirement years!
Exceptional Active Adult Living is now available in Moore, Oklahoma at Grace Pointe Living! Our premier communities for those who desire the best in modern active adult living are taking reservations now! Laurel Springs Retirement, Grace Pointe Living, and The Chateaux at Mon Abri are open and offering tours of the best homes and senior lifestyle in Oklahoma. You’ll appreciate the attention to quality, lifestyle, and amenities when you make the move to one of our quality active adult living communities! Contact Us Today!