Life at Grace Pointe Living is Amazing!
Enjoying the Fall Holidays is even better when you incorporate healthy foods into your holiday meal plans!
You might find that fall flavors and smells pack a lot of comforts, calling up memories of mom’s baking, trips to the pumpkin patch, or holiday meals shared with family. If you’re entertaining at Grace Pointe Living this Autumn holiday season, why not incorporate some foods into your menu that actually help to boost emotional moods and your outlook on life?
The nutrients in these five fall foods can deliver a solid boost to your mood.
1. Acorn Squash – There are several health benefits to acorn squash and other squashes in general. Acorn squash is one of the most nutrient-dense squash varieties and contains higher amounts of antioxidants.
An acorn squash contains magnesium, which is an important nutrient for helping with depression and anxiety. If you’re going to eat a vegetable, why not consume one that can positively affect your good mood?
2. Apples – Apples can give you physical health benefits along with boosting your emotional outlook on life. Apples have a high phytochemical profile, they are excellent at preventing DNA damage, regulating hormones, and reducing oxidative damage
3. Pumpkin – How could we ever forget putting pumpkin in our Fall seasonal diet? It sure is much more than just carving a jack-o-lantern for Halloween! Pumpkin contains lutein and zeaxanthin — both of these nutrients are excellent at boosting memory recall in both younger and older adults.
Plus, pumpkin seeds are known to help boost your mood, something we can all use this time of the year. They contain the amino acid tryptophan, which we often equate with Thanksgiving turkey.
Including tryptophan in your diet helps your brain produce serotonin, a chemical known to boost your mood and give you an overall content feeling.
4. Turmeric – Food as medicine is not a new concept. We’ve been using various ingredients in recipes for centuries to help cure many ailments.
Because of its known healing properties, turmeric is considered a wonder spice for so many health conditions including decreasing the symptoms of depression.
Turmeric is great on sweet potatoes, rice, mashed potatoes and just as an overall seasoning. Great health benefits eating this one!
5. Cinnamon – It wouldn’t be Fall if there wasn’t some cinnamon in the air! The smell of cinnamon can change you from a blue funk into a holiday happy place!
Adding this mood-boosting spice to any food or beverage may help stimulate your brain. It also helps regulate blood sugar, which contributes to an overall steady mood.
Cinnamon adds warmth to the flavor in teas, cider, oatmeal, loaves of bread, baked fruit and veggies, and more.
Do you have any favorites in your cupboard that make the Fall holidays special? What’s your favorite ‘mood food’? Enjoy the holidays and keep your friends and family close…it’s the best way to live a life for LIVING!